Chole Bhature is one of the most popular Indian recipes. The name of the dish itself is so catchy and so is its aroma. In North India, the demand for this dish is so high that almost every fast food corner has it in its menu. It is the taste that drags you towards it again and again. But, due to pandemic it has got tough to eat outside food. So, we decided to include the dish in our “List of recipes”, for our readers.
Lets start with chole and then we will prepare bhatura. Following is the list of ingredients to make chole:
Ingredients For Chole
- Eliachi (Cardamom) – 2
- Laung (Cloves) – 2
- Dalchini (Cinnamon) – One small piece
- Tej Patta (Bay leaf) – 2
- Methe (Fenugreek Seed) – One teaspoon
- Ajwain (Carom Seeds) – One teaspoon
- Sauf (Fennel) – One teaspoon
- White Chole (Chickpeas) – 400 Grams
- Chana Dal – One Bowl
- Chai Patti – 1 Teaspoon
- Water – As required
Instructions to Prepare Chole
- Soak 400 grams white chickpeas overnight in a bowl full of water.
- Next day, wash chickpeas and dal three to four times in running water to remove any dirt.
- Add clean chickpeas and dal to a pressure cooker.
- Boil one teaspoon dried tea leaves in one cup water. Now filter that water in a glass and to remove extra tea leaves.
- Add this water to the pressure in which we added chickpeas and dal.
- Add all the spices to the cooker including Eliachi, laung, dalchini, tej patta, methe, ajwain, and sauf.
- Add two teaspoons of salt and two glasses of drinking water to the cooker.
- Put the pressure cooker on low flame to boil chickpeas with other spices. Wait for three to four whistles. Turn off the flame and place the pressure cooker aside.
- Add a deep pan and add one tablespoon cooking oil. Put the pan on low flame.
- Add chopped tomatoes and onions to the pan.
- Add red chili powder, haldi (turmeric), chole masala, and powdered adrak (ginger) to the mixture in the pan. Mix well.
- Add one teaspoon garam masala (Optional).
- Add two teaspoons kasuri methi (Fenugreek Leaves) to the mixture. Masala is ready.
- Add this masala to the boiled chickpeas in the cooker. Mix well.
- Restaurant style chole masala is ready.
Ingredients for Bhatura
- Maida – 1 Bowl
- Atta – 1 Bowl
- Dahi -1 Bowl
- Sugar – 1 Teaspoon
- Salt – 1 Teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 1 Teaspoon (For Dough)
- Cooking Oil – 1/2 Liter (To Fry)
- Water – As required
Instructions to make restaurant style bhatura
- Mix maida, atta, dahi, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Add one teaspoon cooking oil to the mixture and mix well.
- Start adding water slowly while mixing to make dough.
- Once the dough is prepared, cover it with a clean piece of cloth and place it aside for two hours.
- Take one ball of dough, roll it using a rolling pin to shape it like a roti.
- Take 1/2 liter cooking oil and heat it in a deep frying pan.
- Once the oil starts bubbling, slowly add the prepared roti to the boiling cooking oil.
- The roti will swell like a balloon.
- Turn it around couple of times to cook it from all sides.
- Once you see a golden brown color, take it out and place it on butter paper.
- Butter paper will absorb the extra oil in seconds and the bhatura is ready to be served.