The carrot halwa recipe is one of the most popular Indian sweet recipes. In Hindi, the dish is termed gajar ka halwa. It is mostly prepared in the winter season due to the easy availability of its main ingredient, red carrot. Considering the winter season, it is recommended that the halwa should be served hot only. But, to add a twist, you can also put it in a fridge for a couple of hours and make small cakes out of it.
Ingredients for Carrot Halwa Recipe
- Carrot (Gajar) – 2 Kg
- Milk – 3 Liter
- Sugar – 250 grams
- Almonds – 1/2 Cup
- Cashews – 1/2 Cup
- Wash, peel, and crush all the carrots. You can use a food processor for crushing to save time.
- Steam the crushed carrots in a pressure cooker or vegetable steamer.
- Boil milk in a big cooking tumbler and add steamed carrots.
- Add 250 grams of sugar. If you want to serve the dish to someone who is diabetic, either do not add any sugar or reduce the quantity of the sugar. Carrots are sweet in nature. So it is alright not to add additional sugar to the dish.
- Stir the mixture nicely until any liquid content has evaporated and the mixture is dry.
- Add chopped almonds and cashews to garnish.
- Your carrot halwa is ready to be served.
Once you add carrots to the boiling milk, keep stirring the mixture well to avoid lumps. It will also prevent the mixture from burning.