Dal makhani recipe is one of the most famous main course recipes in India. It is mostly served with rice or roti. Some foodies also order butter naan along with dal makhani and it is actually a great combination. So, you should definitely try it.
- Urad Dal (Black Lentils) – 1 cup
- Rajma (Red Kidney Beans) – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 2 Finely Chopped
- Tomato – 1 (Pureed)
- Cloves of Garlic – 10-12
- Ginger – 1 Inch(Crushed)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tablespoon (tbsp)
- Green Chili – 1 Finely Chopped
- Red Chili – 1/2 tbsp
- Basil Leaves – 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to Taste
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- White Butter – 2 tbsp
Instructions for Dal Makhani Recipe
- Add urad dal (black lentils) and rajma into the pressure cooker. Put 3-4 cups of water. Cover the pressure cooker and wait for about 10-12 whistles on medium flame.
- Heat ghee in a separate pan. Add cumin seeds, saute until they crack. Add ginger-garlic paste and onion. Wait till it becomes golden brown. Then add Tomato puree and stir for 5-6 minutes.
- Now, add all the spices to the mixture.
- Then, add prepared tadka (in the above steps) to the dal.
- Use white butter to garnish the dal and mix well.
- Your dal is ready to be served hot with jeera rice or roti or butter naan.
Cooking Tip: To increase the thickness of dal makhani, you can heat the prepared dal for another 10 minutes in an open pan. Water content present in our dal will reduce and hence its thickness will eventually increase. But, make sure that does not get stick to the bottom of the pan.