Kathal (Jackfruit) is a complete package of vitamins, protein, and carbohydrates. In addition, it also contains calcium and iron in a small percentage. It is oval in shape and looks like an egg, which is green in color. There are many ways to cook this summer fruit. But, one of the best ways is to fry and cook it with thick gravy. So, let’s take a look at kathal gravy recipe:
- Jackfruit (Kathal) – One
- Onion – 4 Chopped
- Tomato – 3 Chopped
- Chilli Powder – 1 Tablespoon
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 Tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1 Tablespoon
- Salt – To Taste
- Cooking Oil – 1/2 (.5) liter
- Water – 2 Cups
How to Prepare Kathal Gravy Recipe
- Peel the outer skin of the jackfruit and cut it into small pieces.
- Wash the pieces and let them dry for half an hour.
- Take a deep cooking pan and heat cooking oil at a low flame.
- Once, the oil starts bubbling, add pieces of jackfruit.
- Fry the pieces, till the skin, gets golden brown.
- Take out the fried jackfruit pieces on a plate covered with tissue paper to absorb extra oil.
- To prepare gravy, heat one tablespoon of cooking oil in a cooking pan at a low flame.
- Add chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Once, the onions get golden brown in color add chilli powder, turmeric, ginger-garlic paste, and salt. Mix well.
- After few minutes, add two cups of water and mix well.
- Heat the mixture for another five minutes at low flame to reduce water content in gravy.
- Add fried pieces of jackfruit (kathal) to the gravy.
- Use chopped coriander leaves to garnish the dish. You can also add garam masala to enhance the flavor, but that is totally optional.
- Serve the dish with steamed rice or parathas.
Cooking Tip: It is a little tough to cut jackfruit into small pieces. So, try if you can get it in pieces.